Sunday, May 2, 2010

Where it all begins...

Learning English was a real pain in the butt. The pain, the tears, the recurring nightmares about showing up to my E.S.L. exam without any pants. Fortunately, that's all a distant memory to me now. I no longer confuse word order: "Good today grammar I learn!", or forget that English is genderless: "The orange fruit, he is so nice, yes?", or mispronounce things with embarrassing results: "Can I have a shit of paper? No. Vait. Two shits of paper, please." In short, I am fluent.
It was difficult to get to that point, but I miss the challenge of figuring out all the puzzles of a new language. That's why I have a new goal: learning French and Spanish at the same time.
Am I crazy for attempting to study both simultaneously? Probably. It will be much harder than just focusing all my effort on just one language, but I've got some advantages too:

-After learning a brand new alphabet, I feel like I already conquered a small part of all languages that use it.(My first language is Russian and Cyrillic doesn't mash well with Latin. In Russian, H is pronounced N, P is R, backwards R is the Ya sound...you get the idea.)

-I already have a good grasp on basic French grammar and have a decent enough vocabulary to understand 70-90% of most conversations. Or at least 70-90% of most Bob L'Eponge episodes.

-French and Spanish are similar because they come from the same language family. Some people might find the similarities confusing, but I enjoy finding them while keeping track of the differences.

-Taking classes in both languages at university will provide structure and help organize my study times. I'll even have access to a fancy language lab! Whatever that is. I haven't tried it yet.

-Spanish is a damn sexy language. I especially like the rrrrolling RRRRRs since I can already rrrroll them in Rrrrrrussian!

Tomorrow is my first class. Spanish days are Mondays and Wednesdays and French days are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays shall be nap days. I'll update this blog as often as I can (which is probably not that often because I'm lazy.)

Adieu/Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment